Facials: The Good, The Better & The Crazy
Facials have long been a go-to for intensive skincare results. From clearing acne to boosting collagen, facials can truly make all the difference. But whether you choose to do it yourself or head to a professional, there are some details you may want to know beforehand. For instance, there are so many types of facials available today: from classics like deep cleansing and microdermabrasion, to some wild trends like the 24 carat gold facial. So how do you know which ones are worth the hype? Is the vampire facial too creepy to actually work? What about the zombie facial you have seen all over Instagram? We have the inside scoop, so read on.
1. First up is the mystery of Microdermabrasion. Most people know the process looks something like the photo above, but what is it actually doing for your skin? Well the intent of microdermabrasion is to make dull skin glowy by removing dead surface cells. You could describe it as a type of exfoliation, but it does much more than your everyday apricot scrub. The process uses microcrystals to buff and polish the top layer of your skin. Then that residue is removed to reveal the softest skin of your life. Now this facial may cause some temporary irritation or redness, especially for those with sensitive skin. So plan accordingly.
2. The Microcurrent Facial is an intense one, and is not for those looking for a relaxing day at the spa. If you have considered something like Botox, but get squeamish around needles, this is the facial for you. It gives you the lifting and firmness of a more subtle facelift without the invasiveness. Rather microcurrent facials use a low-voltage current to gently twitch the face to stimulate and tone the facial muscles. Jennifer Aniston referred to this treatment as, “a little workout for your face.” If Rachel Green gets microcurrent facials, who are we to say no to them?
3. The most relaxing and classic of the bunch is any facial that is titled Rejuvenating, Collagen, or Anti-Aging. These usually consist of a facial massage that loosens any stress or stiffness around your face, commonly caused by frowning, squinting, clenching the jaw, and similar movements. But the massage and products used in this treatment leave your skin much more calm and refreshed than you may have seen it in a while.
4. As we get into the more exciting ones, first up is the Red Carpet Facial. This is also known as the Fire and Ice facial, and has been very popular with Hollywood’s elite. Halle Berry is known to use this treatment to prep for award shows, and she’s practically ageless. This non-invasive facial provides anti-aging and glow enhancing results immediately, so you have no need to worry about being camera ready. With its three-step-process of a peel, serum, and mask, the facial targets areas that need the most lift, firming, and contour. By increasing the collagen production, the Red Carpet Facial defies gravity. Plus, even commoners like us can enjoy this luxurious beauty treatment at home for an affordable price.
5. Now is where it really gets weird — The Vampire Facial. You may remember when this photo of Kim Kardashian surfaced. It caused so much curiosity in the beauty world. Although it looks painful and terrifying, it is not all that complicated. Whether suffering with acne scars, wrinkles, or dullness The Vampire Facial rejuvenates the skin. Yes, there are many other less bloody ways to get those results, but if they fall flat this maybe the next step.
A certified professional starts the process by drawing blood from your arm (like a regular blood test). Then comes microneedling, which is pretty self-explanatory, and finally your skin is soaked with blood-derived growth factors. Basically the whole process is tricking your skin into thinking it needs to be regenerated, so you come out with younger looking skin. And what really makes it worth is that the effects continue to improve your skin for months, and can last up to 2 years.
6. Taking over social media as the zombie facial is in fact a South Korean method known as Hanacure. Drew Barrymore as well as many other celebrities and influencers have shared online their experiences with the Hanacure all-in-one facial. While the mask dries on the skin making you look about 200 years old, it does claim to show immediate results. What type of results you ask? A handful including: anti-aging, clarifying, lifting and firming, brightening, pore tightening, and even contouring. Based on the reviews we read, it actually works so get your selfie stick ready. And prepare to have a killer skin and wickedly weird selfie.
7. Last but not least, we have the most decadent of the bunch. The 24 Carat Gold Facial. With numerous spa options as well as at home masks, you can look like a Grecian goddess anywhere. Many Victoria’s Secret models have even been seen using this treatment backstage. You might be wondering, is this actually made of gold? And the answer is yes. This facial is made with 24 carat gold foil. One of the reasons these have become so popular, other than the obvious reason — they look stellar, are the numerous benefits this precious metal offers. From improving tone and texture to reducing redness, wrinkles, and dark spots, the composite of this treatment allows the skin to become more absorbent. So if you have the budget, why not shine while giving your skin a treat?
So there it is: the good, the better, and the crazy of the latest facial trends. With all that being said, you should always consult with your esthetician or dermatologist about what is best for you and your skin before taking the plunge, but now you know. When a facial seems nuts on the surface, it can actually be effective. And if not, at least you got a fun Instagram out of it.