Makeup to Take Your Look from Day to Night
Work appropriate makeup is nice. It’s subtle. It’s natural. It’s for work. But when you’re heading out to play, you want to amp your beauty routine up from blah to BAM!
But who has the time to completely reapply everything from foundation to mascara before heading out on Friday night? There’s got to be a way to take your day look to nighttime without the hassle. And that’s exactly what we’re here to chat about. Coming up are some simple yet must-have beauty products you’ll wonder how you ever lived without. Plus they can all fit in your handbag.
1. First up, we have touch ups. Something you don’t want fading when you’re posing for flash photos throughout the night is coverage. Most of us don’t carry a full on foundation in our bags, but concealer is another story. Stick with your go-to or try something a touch more creamy. You don’t want to apply a purely matte concealer on top of what’s faded, and get dry crusty bits under your eyes -- that’s not a good look on anyone. Rather, you could reach for something like the Milk Makeup Flex Concealer which is lightweight and doesn’t require a brush for blending. Your ring finger doing some dabbing will be just fine.
2. For those ladies who deal with an oily T-zone, powder is usually your best friend. And a simple compact with a mirror for all your night-out touches is just what you need. But sometimes a powder can look cakey or have a white cast in photos. So rather than dealing with that, pick up the Mally Evercolor Poreless Face Defender. This works sort of like a pore minimizing primer, but it's used as a touch up on top of your makeup. It mattifies any oiliness, and blurs any big pores that have begun to show through— a must-have for us oily gals.
3. Take your neutral day eye look to a smoky and sultry look for date night. You don’t have to keep an eyeshadow palette in your bag either. All you need is a simple eyeliner. Pick any color that works for you, although a deep brown, bronze, or black will go with most outfits, eye colors, and styles. We recommend the Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Smog. It’s a rich and shimmery eyeliner that stays in place, and also creamy and rich, which makes blending easy and quick. Put some on your upper lash line, lower lash line, and even on your inner rim for some more drama and dimension. Then, you can use a Q-tip or even your finger to blend everything to your liking.
4. If you’re not one for touch-ups this may be the only thing you need to make a statement. A classic red lip takes any subtle look up to glam with just a few swipes. And although there’s an entire universe of perfect red lips out there, we found the one that’s also comfortable and made with all food-grade ingredients. The Bite Beauty Amuse Bouche Lipstick in Cayenne is a flattering red for all skin tones, ages, and more. Plus if you want the most comfortable lipstick that won’t fade in a weird way this is the one for you.
5. And what will take your night out look from touched up to fresh faced? A setting spray. These handy dandy sprays are like hairsprays for the face. They’ll keep your look in place and freshen anything that’s faltered. Travel sizes are ideal for your handbag. A little tip from us to you, is to stop by an Ulta, Sephora, or a department store on your way to the bar or club, and take a few sprays from a tester for a quick pep up. Our favorite is the Urban Decay B6 Vitamin-Infused Complexion Prep Spray. Not only does a simple spritz of this refresh any dulled makeup, but it’s actually good for your skin too. It’s that finishing touch that’s sure to make your makeup look freshly applied after a long day.
Let your beauty defy the odds and last all day and all night with these standout products.
Photos: Cover from @SC, second from @milkmakeup, and third from Planit Agency